Thursday, May 26, 2011

Oprah's last day

Even though I was never an avid Oprah watcher, it was sad for me to see something that has been around most of my life, come to its completion. Its just something that's been there - and as other areas in life, change is always hard. The reason I bring all of this up is not to discuss change, but to discuss deception. Why you may ask? Well yesterday Oprah brought up God and as she discussed God she hit some points of truth but also spoke of a God who isn't my God. It sounded quite universalist and it got me thinking. I talked with God about it at length in the shower (or at least the as at length as you can get in a shower when you have a baby) and in that discussion admitted that these times scare me. I can come against outright deception pretty easily but a chunk of truth with a dash of deception is much harder to speak up against because it sounds good. There have been a lot out there lately that seems to be redefining the Christian faith and I wonder, are people even noticing? The truth is we do not all serve the same God and to lump them all together is lunacy. The Islamic God is our Satan so how can I worship Christ my Savior and Satan in the same sentence - its not possible. All roads don't lead to the same place. Oprah said yesterday (I'm paraphrasing) that God is light and all of us need to find that light in us. But if we aren't serving Jesus Christ we don't have the light in us - how are you gonna find it before finding him. We need to be wise as serpents and innocent as doves as we face our cultural future where revered leaders and cultural icons are speaking close truths (otherwise known as lies). We need to be careful not to jump on band wagons of spiritual misconceptions. Are you taking everything to the light of scripture before deciding if its truth? Just because it sounds good, doesn't mean its true.

No comments:

Post a Comment