Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Plan of Redemption

I am one that believes in healing of the past. I believe in being real about who you are and where you are. I believe in transparency within boundaries and safety. I am always at work, not to be perfect, as perfection is not attainable or desired. Perfection is boring and impersonal. Instead I seek to be the best me possible. I seek to be the person God has made me to be. I desire to be free from past pain and the expectations of others. I say all this because, yesterday, as I met with a local couple in ministry, I had a perspective change, not in the above mentioned, but in how that plays out in my everyday life.

You see, thus far I have seen my choice to marry my wonderful husband as a result of past longings. My parents divorced when I was young, and despite their loving attempts to make me feel accepted and loved, I never felt like I completely belonged to anything. I felt I was a fraud and an outsider always looking into someone else's full existance. I always knew my step mom loved me, but felt lesser to my half siblings that were hers and my dad's. Going from one parents' home to the other meant missing out on what was going on in the other home. I never felt like I fully belonged anywhere on this planet.

One day earlier last year, it hit me, that when I married my husband, with 2 children from a previous marriage, that I had unknownly placed myself in the same emotional outsider situation, and my husband's attempts to prove otherwise had been futile. This fact felt depressing to the progress I had hoped to make. I am working on my internal struggle and working at correcting the wrong thoughts and feelings I face, but it just seemed futher compounded.

Yesterday all of that changed. The struggle is still present and real, but the perspective is different. You see now I see that though I made the choice that brought me back into a place of emotional pain, God allowed the choice to bring redemption into my life. As I continue to correct my feelings of pain, I am redeeming the past. I can't go back and relife it (nor would I want to), but I can heal deeper places in my heart because they overlap. That is such a freeing perspective. It makes me want to sing at the top of my lungs and dance around the room. Because what Satan intends for evil, God will use for good. Joel 2:25 says, "I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten— the great locust and the young locust, the other locusts and the locust swarm — my great army that I sent among you." I love that God has come to redeem the gnarly parts of our past and wishes to not only heal them but make us spiritual giants through the process.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Carrie and oh, so true. I especially love "allowed the choice to bring redemption into my life." I love that moment when clarity of understanding comes. Thanks for sharing and btw, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete