Wednesday, June 14, 2017

25 Kids Books For Your Summer Reading List



Summer is here, okay so officially the first day of summer is next Tuesday, but summer in this house starts when school gets out.  

I immediately made a list of all the things we could do together and places we could go.  Sitting around the house doing nothing all summer is not an option.  Without a plan comes non-stop electronic entertainment and that does not make for a good summer break.   

Part of our summer plan includes books.  We have a great children's book library in our house but we also love to go to the library.  Let me digress for a minute to let you know I love our library!  They have a summer reading program, wonderful events, and this summer are doing PJ story time nights.  

I thought as a fun way to celebrate summer and reading I would share some of the 

Guy Family's favorite kids books.  

Some are well-known and may be familiar to you, others may be new finds.  I have a six and two-year old, but some of the chapter books we read are geared more towards older kids, even though my son loves them too.  I have links to all the books so you can check them out on Amazon, but may I suggest going to your local library and check out some books, you may find your own list of favorite books.  

Picture Books: 

Caps For Sale - Esphyr Slobodkina  - This book was a gift when my son was born.  It was a recommendation from my Aunt Julia and Grandma Pat.  It has been a fun read for us.  We seem to all have it memorized.  

A Bad Case of Stripes - David Shannon  - I've actually had this book for some time.  I got it in my year working at the residential care facility for troubled teens.  I found teenagers liked nightly story time just like kids. This has a great message and I have found I really love many of the David Shannon books.  

How I Became A Pirate - Melinda Long & David Shannon  - My son loves pirates so this is a book we checked out but then finally decided to buy it and have it at home.  

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs - Judi Barrett - This is one of my favorites from childhood.  We have multiple copies.  I still have the one from when I was a girl, but wanted my kids to have their own as well.  

Tikki Tikki Tembo - Arlene Mosel  - This is another book that came from my aunt and grandma at the birth of my son.   Just saying the boys "great long name" fills our book time with laughter. 

Jamberry - Bruce Degen - This was actually a find when our church was getting rid of a bunch of kids books.  We love it! 

Good Night Yoga - Mariam Gates - This book was a gift from my mom, and I love it because its a book that also get kids moving.  

Johnny Lion's Rubber Boots - Edith Thacher Hurd - My friend Sabrina loved this book as a girl and shared it with us.  My son loves this book and subsequently we had to get red rain boots and coats to match Johnny Lions.  

James the Jaguar - Mary Lystad - This was another gift from Sabrina, and I LOVE THIS BOOK!  My son does as well but it is one of my favorites.  Its a fun book to enjoy as a family!

When Dinosaurs came with Everything - Elise Broach  - We don't yet own this book.  But it was a fun book we continue to get from the library and just check it out again.  

Hey Duck - Carin Bramsen - This was another library find.  It is just a fun book great for all kids.  

Tea Rex - Molly Idle  - The library introduced us to this book and author.  She is a clever author.  Tea parties and dinosaurs = Tea Rex and a ton of fun!

Hermelin The Detective Mouse - Mini Grey  - I have to admit this is MY FAVORITE.  Again we found this at the library and like Molly Idle, Mini Grey is a fun kids' book author.  She has several great books, but this one is still my favorite.  

A Froggy Fable - John Lechner - This is an older book and was one we discovered at the library.  We finally found a used edition on Amazon Prime and love to read it.  It is a great life-lesson book.  

Otis Book Series - Loren Long - This is not just a series we discovered at the library but we kept waiting for new books to be released.  We currently own 4 of the books in the series, but they are just wonderful!  We also found an Otis stuffed animal on Amazon as well, and my son loves it while we are reading the books.  

Max Spaniel Dinosaur Hunt - David Catrow - This book was a special library find because the author is from Springfield, Ohio where I grew up.  I love clever authors and we are excited to read other books in this series.  This dog is so cute.  

Skippyjon Jones Series (we love Lost In Spice) - Judy Schachner  -  Skippy Jon Jones is a fun cat who things he is a dog, a chihuahua to be exact.  Many books come with CD's so that is also a great bonus too! 

Stranger in the Woods and the rest of the Woods Series by Carl R Sams II & Jean Stoick  - We got this book as a gift from my mom and it is filled with beautiful nature photos and a cute story to go along with it.  We just found two other books in the series at the library and brought them home to read.  We are having fun seeing the connection between the books.  


Chapter Books:

Timmy Ninja - Henrik Tamm - Our library has a new release section just as you enter the kid section. We were exploring one day and found this book.  It is a Swedish author and there are 3, soon-to-be 4 books in the series, however, this is the only one I can find translated in English so far.  This cat ninja and his friends work with a magical toy maker to find the souls that have been stolen from children.  Okay so that sounds a bit strange but it is a fun book to read.  We loved it! 

Charlotte's Web - E.B. White - This was the first chapter book we read together.  Its a classic and there is a reason for that! It is great! 

Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot Series - Dav Pilkey and Dan Santat -  We discovered this series in the new release section at the library, but since there is a lag when books arrive to the library we ended up buying the new ones as they came out.  Each book in the series follows Ricky Ricotta and his Mighty Robot as they fight an enemy from each planet.  I also love that the main characters are named after characters in "I Love Lucy." 


Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales - Elizabeth Rudnick (New Release)  - This just came to the library and we started reading this before we head to see it in theaters.  So far its a great hit each night before bed.  

The House at Pooh Corner - A.A. Milne - This was one of our early chapter books and it was also a hit.  Winnie the Pooh is great for kiddos.  

Chronicles of Narnia Series - C.S. Lewis - We've seen the movies and love the books as well, especially since some weren't turned into a movie.  This is great for growing creative minds.   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment