Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Where's My Oscar?



America (and the world) watched the Oscar's this past Sunday and people were celebrated for their talents in the area of film. As I watched, it got me thinking about a few things.  Without comparing or putting down what artists do in Hollywood, because I do see the impact films have in the lives of people, I began to ponder my own life. 

  • I am thirty-eight years old. 
  • I have no retirement,
  • no medical benefits through my job,
  • and make less than $25,000/year after 15 years job experience and a Bachelor's Degree. 

I'm not sharing my stats with you so you will feel sorry for me and take up a collection or GoFundMe page.  I am sharing because in truth,

                                                              I deserve an Oscar. 

Even if we boomerang back to the film industry

    there are more unsung heroes than Oscar-winning victors. 

For every award that is given, there are hundreds, and probably even closer to a thousand movies that don't get any award.  In January 2016 alone, there were a total of 161 movies released.  (I really wanted to count them all for 2016, but January took long enough :)). 

I am not an actress, so I will never get an Oscar.  The point I am making is the life work I do day in and day out is award-winning worthy.  I don't always see the fruit of my labor, but

pouring into the lives of people and more specifically, teenagers, is an important job. 

I love (almost) every minute of it, and definitely wouldn't trade the years I have behind me for anything, but at the end of the day, I will never receive an award at any kind of ceremony, much less, Oscar status. Please hear me when I say, never getting an award is just fine with me!  My friend, Tracy, hit the nail on the head with a recent Facebook post about her job working with kids and teens:



I live in that boat with her.  Every once in awhile, I get a card of thanks or get to hear the impact my contribution made in someone's life and its worth it.  Lives being enriched far outweighs any paycheck or award.   Thankfully, as great as those Oscar's are, they aren't the indicator of human value, because if they were than only a few people would matter and the work they do and I believe EVERY LIFE MATTERS! 

I don't know who is reading this.  Maybe you feel like an unsung hero and if you do please hear me say, "Stay the course!"  The work you do matters (unless you are a terrorist or serial killer, then PLEASE STOP)! Maybe you have a hero in your life, that needs some encouragement from you.  Either way, you have your place in this life and what you do is important even if no one ever communicates that to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment