Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Used Life

A year from this day I was pregnant.














We had finished summer with a great trip with our extended family in Carlsbad, compliments of my parents, and had gone to Disneyland before heading home.














My Aunt and Uncle hosted us and we enjoyed some time with them when we weren't in the park.














I was gearing up for the arrival of our new baby at home and was trying to figure out the best way to absorb the office furniture into the rest of the house as we now needed that space for a nursery.

I didn't have much of a budget and had struggled to get my vision for the room to come to life. As I talked to my Aunt, I discovered so many of the things in their gorgeous home were garage sale or Craigslist finds. 

 I shared my difficulty in finding matching lamps to place in the room and her response sparked something in me. She told me I didn't need matching lamps, furthermore, making a room look nice wasn't about trends but finding items you love. If you love it, you can find the right spot for it in your home. I could see the truth in this just by looking at her house. She was creative and innovative as she made things work where she needed them. It amazed me each room we entered how many things were treasures she had taken from someone else's discards. She had to revamp a few things to make them presentable or even a thing a beauty, but I was inspired. 

 I came home and began to search yard sales, Craiglist, Facebook groups and slowly began selling my stuff as I bought things that worked for the space. 

 I found something else besides furniture, I found God. At this point you may be asking, "What is she even talking about?" Let me take a moment to explain. You see as I set out to search, I prayed. I discovered not only was God meeting my needs but through the process he was teaching me to trust him instead of holding onto my things and relying on them. He also invited me to be a blessing to others through the things I was discarding. I could pray for the people who were buying what no longer worked for our home and discovered some amazing stories of just what a particular item meant to them.

 A year later, the room is pretty much done (okay so my house will forever be a work in progress). I have a baby who is 6 months old and I am still doing it. I found a great Facebook group that is secret and private and its a great way to look for things I need in everyday life. I can then go by pick it up with kids still in the car and give them my money or visa versa. 

I have discovered that I don't have to go to a store to buy everything I need. Sometimes, more often than you think, you can use something someone else has already used and save some money. There have been times when I say, "God, I really need this." I don't have the money to buy it new, and sure enough there it is in a price range I can handle! 

This past year I've become aware of just how consumer-based our society has become! Reusing, repurposing and borrowing is a great way to save money, save the environment and quite frankly, built community. 

 That has been the greatest treasure in all of this! I have found a community. As we buy and sell between each other, friendships are forming. Women rallying together to find donations for a cause, performing random acts of kindness as they show up at someone's door and just having fun! 

 The past year has taught me that the used life, is the life for me...and yes, I will do a post about my living room redo with pictures. So you better come back and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment