Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Carrie in the Kitchen

I typically cook most nights of the week. I usually plan meals for an entire 2 week pay period, I don't always stick with it, but it makes it easier if I have a plan even when I deviate. Here are a few of my deviations this past week. Monday was Memorial Day. My husband said he would barbeque some tri tip and make twice baked mashed potatoes (delicious by the way) if I would take care of the vegetable. I chose to make a garden salad and my Aunt Julia's bean salad (black & pinto beans, cilantro, green onions, frozen corn, red bell pepper tossed in a dressing of olive oil, red wine vinegar, cumin, salt and pepper, & oregano), and an old favorite of mine - Chocolate Zucchini Cake (orginally from Saveur Magazine)! So here's the cake recipe: 2 medium zucchini, trimmed and grated, then wrung out in a cheese cloth
Then Preheat oven to 325. Use a tbsp of butter to grease a 9" cake pan. Sift 2 3/4 c flour, 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa, 1 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt Set aside Beat 8 tbsp of butter (at room temperature) and 1 1/2 cups sugar with electric mixer until fluffy, add 1/2 cup corn oil, and 2 eggs - 1 at a time, add in 2 3/4 cups flour and 1/2 cup buttermilk (in 3 alternating batches), then stir in zucchini.
Pour batter into pan and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes clean (1 hour, 20 minutes).
Remove from oven and set aside to let cool. Invert onto a plate and dust with confectioners' sugar. Eat!
The other deviation was to my mom's quiche lorraine recipe. I didn't have all the ingredients so instead of swiss cheese and bacon it was bacon, mozzerella, brie cheese and artichoke hearts with fresh thyme. It was fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment