Friday, May 15, 2009

My IRMA Story

As a girl, I set a standard for myself to save sex for marriage. I was 18 and getting ready to graduate high school when that standard was broken. It was a devastating reality, but instead starting over and trying again to stay pure, I gave in and continued having sex with my boyfriend. While most of my life was spent living with my mom, I lived with my dad and step mom in Germany the last two years of high school. The summer before starting college at Texas Christian University (TCU), I stayed with my mom in Ohio. My boyfriend and his family relocated to Pennsylvania. After being in Ohio a short time, I discovered I was pregnant. I took several tests hoping the results were wrong, but I was, indeed, pregnant. I called my boyfriend to tell him the news and as if he knew what I was going to say, he asked me to marry him. I rejected his request because it wasn't the choice I wanted to make. His next request was that I have an abortion. I told him I couldn't because I knew abortion was wrong. My original plan was to choose adoption for my child. As a military dependent at 18, my doctor visits were both free and confidential. I thought I could go to college and carry the baby to term, then choose adoption; keeping the secret from friends and family. The idea of allowing someone else to raise my child became too painful and fear of exposing my sin mounted. I was scared of ruining my pristine reputation as the virgin and good Christian girl. Up until that point, I had been the victim in life; now, I was the one who had committed wrong. I also had plans of college in the fall; being a single mom was not apart of that plan. I wanted to go back in time, and prayed I would wake up and no longer be pregnant, but, of course, that never happened. Finally, I allowed fear and the voice of my boyfriend's request to control me. My boyfriend's mom made an appointment and I boarded a bus to Pennsylvania. My boyfriend, his mom and I went to the appointment. It was nothing like what I had envisioned. There were no picketers - no commotion at all. It was a quiet office in suburban office complex. The doctor performed other procedures besides abortion, so it just looked like a regular doctor's office. My boyfriend paid for the abortion. I filled out some papers and took a Valium before heading to an examination room. I got on the table, while the doctor looked at the ultrasound – I was not allowed to see. He thought I was about 6-8 weeks along. A nurse came into the room and held my hand during the procedure. The doctor started the sucking process and the pain began. The nurse told me to breathe, but I couldn't – the cramping in my abdomen was more than I could bear. When it was over, the doctor told me the pain would get a little worse before it got better. I was given milk and cookies to help stop the cramps, but I still recall crying in pain. The doctor attempted to lighten the mood by making jokes about a promise of my future fertility. I stayed a few days at my boyfriend's house before returning to Ohio. I went to college at the end of the summer. As I started a new life in a place where I knew no one, I was left alone with my thoughts. The reality of my choice settled in – I had killed my baby! I went to a place of utter despair and spent my first year of college an emotional wreck. I can recall people in my dorm hearing me crying in the bathroom and asking if I was okay, but the truth was - I wasn't. The pain didn't subside; I just got better at suppressing it. In my junior year, I confided in a Bible study leader about my past abortion, and she suggested I attend a support group at the local pregnancy care center. I decided to join the group and began my journey of healing. The pain from this experience never completely disappears, but as I worked through the grief, I was able to function without suppressing memories. Now, at times, certain places or circumstances stir up emotions within me, but I am able to see a baby, talk about abortion and hear people's opinions without getting defensive and distraught. It was important for me to not only understand that I was forgiven, but also deal with the grief that was in my heart. I needed to allow my heart to experience the pain of that choice so that I could move on with life. It's a journey that takes a lifetime. While I regret my choice of abortion, I will never regret facing the pain.

4 comments:

  1. I was horrified and physically sickened by this post. I really can't believe that it is your true story but I will operate under the assumption that it is.
    What's so strange for me is that I also got pregnant at eighteen. I was just on the verge of entering college and excited about my future. I never, not for one instant, even entertained the possibility of having an abortion or giving my boy away to strangers. He was mine and was gifted to me from God. He was my responsibility. The idea of getting rid of him so that I could have a "normal" college experience or to save face seemed selfish. I knew it was not about me anymore; it was about him. I ceased to be the center of my own universe.
    I went to college and worked and he became my constant companion. Everything that I have done over the past twelve years of my life has been for his benefit. He's gone to Church, to the best schools, and he is growing into a young man whose character awes me daily. I am a single mother and he is literally my right hand. He's smart, kind, loving, athletic and musical. He's the absolute joy of my life.
    I completed a master's degree and am today a professional. I have no shame in my choice for to me there was never a choice. I can't judge you, though I find your story chilling, because it's not my place. I just wanted to share my story. My path has been hard for sure, but the alternative is unthinkable to me.
    Leslie Garrison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Leslie! Obviously, doing things the way you did would have been the better choice, but unfortunately its not what I did. I'm glad that God has used my area of sin and bad choices to help others. I feel overwhelmed with joy each time I meet a child that is here because his/her mom talked to me and chose life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find your story heartbreaking, not sickening. Because it did not end at your abortion. It followed you for tue rest of your life, and molded you into the woman you are now. You srill grieve for your child, and wish you could take back the choice of a scared 18 year old girl who acted out of fear and inpulse. Had you felt you had a stronger support you may have made a different choice. And now you make it your life's work to help educate and help othwr young women find all their options and make wiser choices that they won't grow to regret and live with grief their whole lives. I find you ENTIRE life story amazing, uplifting, full of God's grace and see you waking in his forgiveness and rightousness. LIke many key characters in the bible who were murderes, prostitutes, swindlers, thieves and such were changed when they came to God and started to seak being more Christ-like. They repented of their sins and changed the lives of thousands. You took all the pain in your life and now work with others so you can help them so mayne they can have God work in theirs. God has always had this mapped out for you. I think both you and Leslie habe amazong stories to share. She did great in keeping her child and raising him on her own all while putting herself through school. That is amazing! And you seeking Jesus to forgive you for your sin and to help you heal, and the fact that you can out your story out there so publicly and so raw just to help show others how much abortion rips you apart inside and you regret it all your life (and everyone I know does) is brave and couragous. I read a article you wrote on fb tonight about 4 things you don't say to a hurting friend and I've been reading your blog all night since. I relate to so much of what you say that I want to read everything. I really hope you start writingore entries. I've noticed it's been quite a few months. You inside me Carrie, I see a lot of myself in you. I think we think a lot in the same way and have a lot of the same desires in our ways of wanting to help people. And I also have times where I'm fighting the things of my past and things I struggle with in my head. But I think your a brave woman. I hope you get told that enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sorry the auto correct on my phone is soo out of wack! And I'm horrible at touch screen as it is. (Miss the old actual buttons) And being 3 am I forgot to proofread. I'm sorry for all my typos. I hope you got the gist of what I was trying to say. Woman like you inspire me! Woman with courage like you too Leslie. Rasing a child when your still practically a child is a huge accomplishment. Your doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete