Wednesday, November 16, 2016

What Will You Do With Yours?



I went out today and bought groceries at Costco.  I hate grocery shopping so I try to get as much as I can at the beginning of each pay period.  I spent over $200 on groceries and other household items.  This number echoes in my ears as I learned this weekend that if you spend over $2.50 a day, you are in the top half of the world’s population.  The fact that I own a car, puts me in the top 90%.  I don’t often think of myself in this way as I see many people in my circles making much more money than me.  My husband and I are a middle-class family, but just because the comparisons of wealth in my own backyard are much greater than mine, doesn’t ignore the fact that I am wealthy in comparison with the world.  

I was recently challenged to share my abundance.  I was asked to look at what that might mean for me.  What I have come to recognize, is my abundance goes beyond money.   My husband and I are fairly generous people.  We give to our church each month and share other monies with non-profits locally and abroad, and then of course there are those who come across our path seeking funds for a variety of reasons, that beg for a $5 here or $10 there.  Even with that, I know we could give more.  It might take sacrifice, but sacrifice could do me some good.  

However, as I reflected I realized some of my abundance comes from my heart.  I am someone who naturally has always loved people and sought to hear the heart of a person.  I know I can talk, but I think I can also lovingly listen.  I realize in our world today, showing the world love, one person at a time, can really be utilizing my abundance.  I have an inner strength as a result of my faith and relationship with God.  When others struggle, my abundance might be sending encouraging words, letters or even praying with them or offering a hug.  I can take that gift God has given me for granted, and go about my busy day, but I have an obligation as someone whom has been given much to give even more (Luke 12:48). Which isn't what I always want to hear, especially when I just want to spend time doing what I enjoy and wish for my time and efforts to serve myself.  

Now before you tell me I need to enjoy life too and have some balance, please know that is not what I am speaking to.  If you are tired, get sleep; if you are hungry, eat something.  You do need to pay attention to yourself and know what you need, but more often than not we don't give because we just don't want to,not because we have nothing left to give.  

What areas can you give?  Maybe its giving up a membership you don’t use to spend that money on someone in need.  Maybe its giving away clothes and shoes you don’t wear or don’t fit to someone who can wear them now.  Maybe its taking time out of your life to look to the needs of those around you.  Sometimes lending a listening year is the abundance you have to give.  Sure it means having to give up time you wanted to spend reading, watching tv, enjoying a hobby or just playing a game on your phone, but it can meet someone’s deficit.  


What will you give?  What will you do with your abundance? 

No comments:

Post a Comment